Wooden furniture add character to your space and help in bringing spaces to life. They evoke emotions and help you create a space that inspires you and reflects your interests and tastes. Having said that, maintaining wooden furniture can get daunting. They require regular maintenance as they lose their sheen over time.
Have you decided to breathe back life into your old wooden furniture by DIYing your way through them? If yes, then you might have come across terms like wood primer and wood coating. Clueless about these terms? Fret not, we have brought to you an easy guide that will help you make an informed decision before you start your wood painting project.
A wood primer is a coating that is used before you use a varnish or paint on your wooden furniture. Here are some of the advantages of using a wood primer.
- It gives a professional look and feel to your freshly painted wooden furniture.
- It improves the adhesion of the paint.
- It provides a smooth surface for your varnish or paint.
- It increases the durability of your paint.
- It increases the shelf life of your wooden furniture as it protects it from water, sun, dirt, dust and household chemicals.
- It helps to hide the imperfection on the wooden surfaces.
How to use a wood primer?
- Using a wood primer is simple if you know what you are doing. Before you use a wood primer, it is important that you thoroughly clean the wooden surface that you are planning to paint.
- After the surface has completely dried, sand the surface and wipe off the dust collected.
- Next, you can apply the first coat of primer and let it dry completely.
- Once the first coat has dried completely, you can then apply the second coat.
- Remember to let the second coat dry for at least a few hours before you apply a varnish or paint on the wooden furniture.
Unlike the primer, which is applied before the varnish or wood finish, a wood coating is a clear coating that is applied on top of the varnish or paint. The wood coating is also commonly referred to as a top coat and it is applied on wooden furniture to give them added protection from environmental and man-made factors. Here are some of the top benefits of using a wood coating.
- It gives your furniture a glossy or matte finish and makes it look new.
- It can be applied to any kind of wood like outdoor furniture, frameworks, wooden décor items, doors, fences and indoor furniture pieces.
- Modern technology has made it possible for you to buy special wood coating which is flame resistant or slip resistant.
- Wood coating adds an extra layer of protection on top of your paint and it makes cleaning them easy.
- It is known to seal the pores on the wooden surface which can be breeding grounds for bacteria and moulds.
How to use a wood coating?
- Clean the wooden surface that you are planning to use it on to ensure that there is no dirt or grease on the surface.
- You can either use a spray machine or a brush to apply the wood coating. A pro tip is to use a spray machine if you are coating a larger surface as it will help you save time and paint evenly.
- For best results, apply 2-3 coats and let it dry completely before you move the furniture.
Looking for a place to shop for the best wood primer and wood coating? The Asian Paints website is your one-stop destination that has a wide range of wood finishes and everything you would be needing for your next DIY wood painting session.